Monday, March 25, 2013

Slice of Life March Challenge #25

Slice of Life has officially been launched in our classroom today!  My kids seemed really excited about it, too.  I actually think this may have been the first time that my sixth graders haven't complained about a homework assignment--that says a lot in itself. Excited about homework--my class--not in million years! Maybe they're having a change of heart.

But the best part of this already has been that the student in my class that dreads writing--really dreads it--one of most reluctant writers, posted the first slice! How cool is that?!

So, I've been sitting with my computer up since after school waiting to see if my kids would post any slices today.  After looking at the first few, I realize that some of their slices are going to need some work for sure.  We'll have to go over again tomorrow in class what makes a good slice and I'll have to show them some more examples.  But I think this is going to build an excitement for writing overall in my class, and I can't wait to see how my students are going to grow as writers the rest of year because of slicing!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think this is a cool way to build writing skills while enjoying the kids' favorite medium. It makes it social, too, and feedback can be almost immediate (or certainly timely).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! It takes time to learn how to slice...it took my students the first marking period to really get going. But they learn for each other and they love commenting. It's so wonderful for building community....keep me posted, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you shown them examples of your slices? I think this will be great for your kids. Check out the classroom slices. You can find examples of classes with effective slices and comments. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I've been thinking about having my classes do it as well. I hope they take off with the commenting as well as the slicing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have realized that I need to work on the lead of my slices. Most of mine don't have powerful hooks. As I have been reading slices I have been trying to examine the ones with great lead ins. Over the last couple of years I have become an enthusiastic user of mentor texts. They have really helped me grow as a writer.

    ReplyDelete